Friday 8 August 2014

A Singapore I love.

I am not sure what exactly constitutes a true blue Singaporean, but I think I am one.

I am born in Singapore, grew up here on this tiny little island in the Malay Peninsula. I spent the last 20+ years of my life here, experiencing and soaking in all the little bits and pieces of what it means to be a Singaporean. Over the last few years, with the advent of social media in particular, I have seen some of my peers and other Singaporeans (should I still call them that when it has become merely nominal?) that hurl insults at the PAP government, mostly senseless comments at what they should have done. It is not hard to understand why. It could be due to their unhappiness in certain aspects of their lives, or that their job has been taken away, or they wished they could have more wealth. It is due to their individual circumstances of the present day that they feel resentful against the party in power, which in fact, has an excellent track record of providing for the people.

Truth to be told, life in Singapore is not easy, but I do not think that I will choose any other place to call 'home'. As with most Singaporeans, I come from a middle class family, with parents not having received university education. I recall the days when my dad was in the police force and had to take on overnight duties, putting in extra effort and hours at work so that he could provide for the family. My mum left her job and stayed at home to make sure that everything went well. Every Chinese New Year, we gather for a feast, but that is one of the few times the whole family is around for a meal. My sis and I grew up in much fear of my parents. They were particularly strict in disciplining us. I am sure they thought it was good that we are well-disciplined. In school, I was frequently compared against my peers, both in the domain of sports and academic grades. My sister was a benchmark for me, one that I could never come close to. My parents' hours at work and nurturing us at home eventually allowed my sis and I to be enrolled into NUS to pursue a degree and become a graduate one day, so that we can have a job and lead a more comfortable life. It is sad to see them grow old, for they have grown old for us, yet happy that I still have them today.

Growing up in Singapore, I have learnt what it means to be content. Contentment is not about having all the material wants, because the chase after such things will never end. It is also not about having the perfect government that will satisfy everyone's needs and wants. Contentment is family and having a place that you can come back to anytime. The family that I hope to build in the future, if marriage and having a family is what God wills for me, is one that is intact, Christ-loving, loves each other and Singapore. It is the family unit that shapes how one grows up and the mindset that a person will have.

Singapore is a place I call home and hold dear to my heart. I can go away from Singapore for extended periods of time, but when I am away, there's always this longing to be back home. The familiar sights and smells of the city are fading away as we move along, and the Singapore now is no longer the same as the one I grew up knowing. One thing remains. My family is here, and Singapore is still home.

Happy 49th birthday, little red dot.

No comments:

Custom Search