Tuesday 24 July 2012

Building Blocks.

It is never by my own works that I am saved.

It is perfectly normal to muck up my life when I start to believe that I can do better with my own strength and take things into my own hands. It is not about self, it is not about how many books I read, how much time I spend reading the bible, how much of the bible I know, how I interpret the bible, how many bible studies I attend. Those things come as a response and as a result of faith. On their own, they are without meaning. Those things do not make a Christian a Christian. What then is the basis of my faith?

It is the trust in Jesus Christ, who has shed his own blood and died for our sake, so that we could be reconciled to God again. I did not have to offer up any offering or to die on the cross so that I could be redeemed from the consequence of my sin. God came as a man in Christ Jesus to die on the cross to redeem us. God-man Jesus died for our sake. A sinless God died for the sinful humans. A righteous God came and suffered in the hands of the unrighteous for the unrighteous.

But now the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from the law, although the Law and the Prophets bear witness to it- the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction: for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith. This was to show God's righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had passed over former sins. It was to show his righteousness at the present time, so that he might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.  -Romans 3:21-26

Why then do I still have the tendency to take things into my own hands? It just doesn't seem right for both are contradicting and can never exist together. It is either I give to total control to God and trust in him, or take things into my own hands and drive my own life. I can't have both, no one can. Satan is still angry, and he seeks to take people away and to die with him. This death is more than just physical, it is spiritual and eternal death. It is either I believe in God or I don't. There's no sitting on the fence. Choose life, or death?

I choose life, and it is going to be a fight of faith. There can't be a greater promise from a God who keeps His promises than the gift of eternal life for those who believe. People against God will stand up against us who believe, but we are told to trust and be strong in our faith. Those in God will prevail when his holy Kingdom comes again. Trust, and stay firm in Christ.

When we believe, what should our response be? I would not want to go back to my old ways. If I did, it doesn't make a difference whether I believe or not. We are told that we have to be born again. We will be transformed by his Spirit. What becomes my priorities? What drives me? Why do I want to do things in a certain way? I do it not because by doing so God will love me more or so that I will give the impression to others that I'm a good Christian. It is because Jesus has died for me, and there's nothing more than I could do than to believe and be a good testimony, so that people may see and glorify Him. It will not be for self, but for the sake of Christ. If I continue to dwell in trusting in my own strength, it is just a matter of time before I muck things up all over again.

Make a wise choice all the time. I'm saved, and I will and want to live out a gospel-worthy life.

No comments:

Custom Search